Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 3: "Halfway Around The World" by The A*Teens

Are you ready for this?  No, I mean REALLY ready.  Because this is about as syrupy sweet as bubble gum pop can get!  I have been in kind of a funk for the past couple of days and feeling really sorry for myself for no apparent reason.  It took reading a message from a friend to put things into perspective and make me realize how trivial my bad mood really was.  So today I woke up to a gorgeous sunny afternoon in the mid-80's, which feels like the 60's or 70's compared to the near 100 degree temps we've been experiencing lately, had a great workout and am feeling back to my sunny little self.  Anyways, I have been thinking all day about which song to post but nothing seemed to stick out or really jump up and say "Hey!  Here I am!  Post me so people/no one can listen to me!"  Then I spotted my book of CDs.  This poor relic from my past hasn't been cracked open in quite some time since I have all of my music that I actually listen to on my laptop.  I dug it out and literally had to blow dust off of it, that's how long it's been since I've opened the little guy.  So I'm digging through it and marveling at what craptacular taste in music my pre-teen to teenage self had when I came across a real gem.  Honestly the best thing that has ever come to us from across the pond since The Beatles.  I present to you The A*Teens.  Oh yes.  These four adorable little Swedes first came into my life when they released their debut CD "The ABBA Generation", an album full of dance inspired covers of classic ABBA songs.  Being an avid ABBA fan at the tender age of 12, I ate it up with a spoon in both hands!  I literally couldn't get enough!  I would record their videos on blank tapes on my VCR when they would come on Nickelodeon so that I could watch them over and over again at my heart's desire.  I sadly even learned the dances to the songs.  Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, the A*Teens really rocked my world and released their second CD, "Teen Spirit".  This time they were singing all original songs.  And boy let me tell ya something...They were good.  With lyrics like "Somehow, someday you will love me too, one day will be the day when all my dreams come true" or "When you think the party's over, look over your shoulder, I'm at your door coming back for more" and songs like "Upside Down", "Sugar Rush", and "Slammin' Kind Of Love" (I couldn't make this stuff up), this album has "WIN" written all over it!  So for today's selection I bring you "Halfway Around The World", a tune about two lovers being separated by (you guessed it) half of the world and their love conquering the distance.  Ugh, so romantic it hurts!  I hope you enjoy the sugary ear dripping sweetness you get from listening to this song!  Side note: This is shockingly close to a "Stupid Bitch" song...But not quite.  Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment